Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Jewish Life > General > Bulletin Board

Unread 04-07-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
lambda

Yeshivas Chabad-Lakewood

http://www.yeshivaschabadlakewood.com/
lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
teva

What are they thinking i totally dont understand what they are doing. what exacly is the point of oppening up a yeshiva in lakewood looking for trouble or something. they couldnt find a better place to do it. even yonkers pales in comparison.
teva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 12:54 AM   #3
mordechai7215
Diamond Member

But if the yeshivah ends up being all they say it could be a big kidush hashem.
I think the greater area for discussion is the whole idea of a making a more "advanced" yeshivah. As was mentioned in other areas today's buchorim have seemed to polarized, either going up or down. Much has been done for the "down" buchorim but what of those who want to do more?
mordechai7215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 01:15 AM   #4
iamachassid
Diamond Member

is this yeshiva for the "down" bochurim, the regular or the "up" ones? What about the yeshiva ketana that ULY on Ocean Pkwy. is starting?
Unread 04-08-2004, 01:33 AM   #5
ChilinInCali
Executive Member

The Yeshiva looks like a good a idea on paper, and many things that are on the curiculum halevai I learned them in yeshiva, (I wouldn't have come out the am ho'oretz I am, especially in all these subjects). But for their plan to succeed they would need a miracle, they're trying to cram in many subjects in a very short amount of time, and if they do all these subjects but don't manage to acheive the depth they desire, yotzo sechorom b'heifseidom (u'vegadol!).

For this Yeshiva to succeed in the way they want they would need much more staff than the 3 they advertised on the site, (unlesss they want a tiny Yeshiva, but it doesn't sound like that). And they probably can do with a couple of solid eltere bochurim.

One gets a better picture of what the Yeshiva wants in the English on that site. The Hebrew is kind of wishy washy. (Seems like ng wrote the Hebrew and izw wrote the english, much more methodical, k'darkoi in his kesovim. although this hash'oroh is lav davka and stam a guess ).
ChilinInCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 01:43 AM   #6
ChilinInCali
Executive Member

[maamor hausgar. Someone just commented over my shoulder hayitochen i'm implying ng is not methodical, harei hanir'eh lo'einayim (l'dugma his writings in heicha habesh"t, oir yisroel, ho'orois ubiurim etc.) is the opposite, ng is very methodical. and since i can't delete, so i'll just have to clarify.

ng is very methodical, but once he is nochis liperotim there is no end, and his writings just keep on going. if he writes short, he just doesn't manage to come accross methodical, izw manages to be short and come accross methodical. v'im to'isi, since i can't delete, i state clearly that no intention was made to disparage anyone here, v'Hashem hatoiv yechaper baadi.]
ChilinInCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 02:32 AM   #7
RebYid
Senior Diamond Member

Why is is only for 2 years. Why not 4 or 6 years, if they are serious?
RebYid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 07:54 AM   #8
lambda

Maybe they will make it for 4 or 6 years once the first bochurim get older?
lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #9
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

I think a yeshiva with such high goals for the talmidim is a breath of fresh air. However, the ruach of this yeshiva seems lacking to me. Two examples to explain why:

Quote:
In accordance with the Rebbes repeated calls for the serious study of Inyanei Moshiach, a full curriculum covering Tanach, Shas, Midrashei Chazal, Sichos and Maamorim, Rishonim and Acharonim covering all aspects of Geulah and Moshiach is being developed for our Talmidim ...
Is it only because of the "Rebbe's repeated calls" that inyanei Moshiach and Geula are part of the curriculum? At this point in Chabad history, do we learn inyanei Moshiach and Geula because the Rebbe nudged us to do so or because this is what our lives are about? The Rebbe was greatly disappointed with the Chasidim for asking for Moshiach because he said to do so, and said this was not doing it "mit an emes"
Quote:

In addition to the areas of Torah knowledge which every Yid is responsible for, a Chossid has an addition(al) requirement to learn the Rebbes Torah...
a requirement? A REQUIREMENT?

not surprising to me though, considering that the rosh doesn't know who the nasi ha'dor is
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 09:50 AM   #10
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jude
not surprising to me though, considering that the rosh doesn't know who the nasi ha'dor is
Did you interview him?
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 09:58 AM   #11
Jude

he has made his views public
Unread 04-08-2004, 10:39 AM   #12
teva

jude excuse me for saying so but i think you are being very naive when you say the rosh doesnt know who the nossi hador is even if your just saying it to bring out a point. if you would actually sit down and think about what he said and the circumstances that where happening then you would come to a more educated answer not this immature statement.
teva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 11:23 AM   #13
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
he has made his views public
Where?
Unread 04-08-2004, 11:51 AM   #14
daas
Executive Member

Quote:
I think a yeshiva with such high goals for the talmidim is a breath of fresh air. However, the ruach of this yeshiva seems lacking to me. Two examples to explain why:

Is it only because of the "Rebbe's repeated calls" that inyanei Moshiach and Geula are part of the curriculum? At this point in Chabad history, do we learn inyanei Moshiach and Geula because the Rebbe nudged us to do so or because this is what our lives are about? The Rebbe was greatly disappointed with the Chasidim for asking for Moshiach because he said to do so, and said this was not doing it "mit an emes"
Even the most ardent [don't like labels] will tell you that that is the reason why they learn and have shiurim in inyanei Moshiach and Geula...[if you want to say that that should not be the reason , you can do so [and people can agree or disagree ,but don't say it has anything to do with the hashkofos of that yeshiva]

Quote:

a requirement? A REQUIREMENT?

Although maybe someone would word it differently, I do not see any major problem when read in context....

Seems to me that your problem with what it says there has nothing to do with what it says there.... but rather something else and therefore you found some problems there...
daas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 12:47 PM   #15
Ferd

The way i heard about him is not only
"not surprising to me though, considering that the rosh doesn't know who the nasi ha'dor is"

But more
for example he didn't feal satisfied the way sichos were structured (that the nigle part wasn't so apparent) so he went and started "Rewriting" sichos in "Pilpul format" so that the snags can also appreciate the "Gadlus" of the Rebbe
Vehamaivin yovin and those that don't want to understand wont
(These are symptoms of your typical farshmudete Anti-Mishichist-Just another case of someone that means well but because of small mindedness or maybe ignorance or a million other reasons, Don't think the rebbe's way of doing things are enough)
Ferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 01:19 PM   #16
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member

Ferdeleh, Just for your information, the Rebbe himself approved and was extremely happy with IZW's rewriting of Sichos. You can ask R Nachman Shapiro about it.
rebayzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 01:30 PM   #17
daas
Executive Member

Is it just my imagination ,or is the Dvar Malchus which the Rebbe gave out rewritten by him ?
Unread 04-08-2004, 02:09 PM   #18
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ferd
But more
for example he didn't feal satisfied the way sichos were structured (that the nigle part wasn't so apparent) so he went and started "Rewriting" sichos in "Pilpul format" so that the snags can also appreciate the "Gadlus" of the Rebbe
(These are symptoms of your typical farshmudete Anti-Mishichist-Just another case of someone that means well but because of small mindedness or maybe ignorance or a million other reasons, Don't think the rebbe's way of doing things are enough)
Why does this whole tirade strike me as offensive - in more ways than one?
Ober a ferd blaybt ah ferd, especially one who labors under delusions of "being the Rebbe's ferd"...
Unread 04-08-2004, 03:39 PM   #19
Ferd

Quote:
Ober a ferd blaybt ah ferd, especially one who labors under delusions of "being the Rebbe's ferd"...
For starters This is what the whole quote is meant to say

WE ARE HORSES

But if we like it or we don't we are the rebbes horses (if it is still not clear please refer to your nearest mashpia)

All i brought those cases were to show a general adittude that curtain people have
Read again
Quote:
Vehamaivin yovin
Maybe i shouldn't have written what i have
something like the beggar that won the 10 million dollar lottery and when asked what he going to buy he answers a huge one floor biulding so they ask him why one floor and answers "So that when i go out to beg every morning i wont have to climb the stairs"
Unread 04-08-2004, 03:49 PM   #20
daas
Executive Member

Quote:
The way i heard about him is not only
"not surprising to me though, considering that the rosh doesn't know who the nasi ha'dor is"

But more
Ferd, Someone posts that the Rebbe WAS happy about it...so How does what you are posting now answer that ? do you still hold by what you posted and if yes please explain why ?
Unread 04-08-2004, 04:01 PM   #21
roza
Silver Member

and Jude said that the Rebbe does not like ppl to do things bec the Rebbe said so-IOW - like horse, who does things because her master told so...
now I am confused- are we supposed to be horses or ppl or something in between:/
Unread 04-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #22
daas
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roza
now I am confused- are we supposed to be horses or ppl or something in between:/
Not something in between but both.

[Although this has nothing to do with this thread....]
Unread 04-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #23
Ferd

Quote:
Originally posted by daas
Ferd, Someone posts that the Rebbe WAS happy about it...so How does what you are posting now answer that ? do you still hold by what you posted and if yes please explain why ?
Quote:
All i brought those cases were to show a general adittude that curtain people have
Read again

Maybe i shouldn't have written what i have
something like the beggar that won the 10 million dollar lottery and when asked what he going to buy he answers a huge one floor biulding so they ask him why one floor and answers "So that when i go out to beg every morning i wont have to climb the stairs"
Unread 04-08-2004, 06:15 PM   #24
daas
Executive Member

Let me make it clearer.

You complained about the attitude that certain people have.

Someone posted that apparently the Rebbe was happy about it.

You answer that
Quote:
All i brought those cases were to show a general attitude that curtain people have
Read again
Now again do you still stand by your post (that complains about certain peoples attitude) and if yes why ?

(btw I dont think your moshul applies here)
Unread 04-08-2004, 06:30 PM   #25
Jude

Quote:
Originally posted by Torah613
Where?
correction: my comment still stands but applies to a diff. staff member, not the one designated as rosh y.

as far as the r.y. - I was present at an insiders gathering with him where he made his wishy-washy views publicly known, every view is valid blah blah