Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Halachah Uminhag (Jewish Law & Custom) > Seasonal Minhagim > Nissan - Iyar

Unread 04-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
betterhalf

Homemade potato starch?

Please help. How do I keep potato starch that I prepare before Pesach fresh through Pesach? The last few years I haven't even tried. I make it before Pesach and it gets moldy in the fridge. I froze it one year and it got weird. What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to make at least one recipe calling for potato starch this year. My usual approach is to just keep the food simple simple simple, but I have a relative coming from Belgium this year who does not keep Chabad chumros and I want don't want her to remember her culinary experience here negatively...
betterhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2005, 06:35 PM   #2
Nissan
Diamond Member

Why can't you make some for the first two days and than some on each day of Chol Hamoed and then some for the last two days?
Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
klippatrapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan
Why can't you make some for the first two days and than some on each day of Chol Hamoed and then some for the last two days?
I guess it has sugar or something that you cant do on Pesach!

This is the first I heard of homemade potatoe starch! How do you make it? I guess its not that impottant if I survived so far without it!
Unread 04-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #4
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Buy some.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #5
betterhalf

no easy answer?

Okay, yes I guess I can make it again and again, but I don't use SO MANY grated potatoes. Whoever asked, potato starch is just the sediment that forms when you let grated potatoes sit in a bowl of water for a while. You grate them up for kugel or whatever and then let them soak a while, squeeze them out, and then rinse the sediment gently until it is nice and white. voila! The only thing is it takes like a case of potatoes to get a cup of it! Maybe I'll just skip it...

And I'll skip it rather than buy it. When we married, my husband and I agreed on certain kashrus and Pesach principles, and factory-made potato starch didn't make it onto our Pesach list. Thank G-d olive oil did though, or I'd be spending my whole Pesach straining potato starch and rendering chicken fat!
Unread 04-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
Nissan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613
Buy some.
Some Lubavitchers don't use processed foods. (I personally do buy Potato Starch, but refrain from other processed foods)
Unread 04-05-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
Nissan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterhalf
Okay, yes I guess I can make it again and again, but I don't use SO MANY grated potatoes. Whoever asked, potato starch is just the sediment that forms when you let grated potatoes sit in a bowl of water for a while. You grate them up for kugel or whatever and then let them soak a while, squeeze them out, and then rinse the sediment gently until it is nice and white. voila! The only thing is it takes like a case of potatoes to get a cup of it! Maybe I'll just skip it...
I mean the only other experiment you can try (I would do it now before Pesach) is maybe use a little Lemon Juice... you will sacrifice some flavor but it might keep it fresh a little longer...
Unread 04-06-2005, 02:39 AM   #8
Bas Melech

I've made homemade potatoe starch before, and yes, if you leave it too long it does get mouldy. The trick is to let it dry out really well. I've never tried putting it in the fridge. I usually keep it in a container on my counter-top with a very loose fitting lid. But I'd never make too much of it for the reason you mentioned earlier, it get's mouldy. We eat a potatoe kugel for breakfast along with salad and whatnot, so I just keep the starch from that day and use it later to make crepes or whatever. It technically doesn't have to be properly dried before you use it, as long as it isn't wet.

Hope this helps.

"Tracht Gutt, Vet Zayn Gutt"
Bas Melech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2005, 11:38 AM   #9
betterhalf

Ty

Thanks. I think the make a little as you go method is probably the easiest. Kugel anyone?
Unread 04-06-2005, 11:51 AM   #10
Nissan
Diamond Member

Sell it on eBay! (or YidBay but I haven't invented that yet :-) )
Unread 04-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #11
BaisHamikdashBa
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterhalf
Please help. How do I keep potato starch that I prepare before Pesach fresh through Pesach? The last few years I haven't even tried. I make it before Pesach and it gets moldy in the fridge. I froze it one year and it got weird. What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to make at least one recipe calling for potato starch this year. My usual approach is to just keep the food simple simple simple, but I have a relative coming from Belgium this year who does not keep Chabad chumros and I want don't want her to remember her culinary experience here negatively...
I dont know about the way you make potato starch but i make it from a machine called an extractor and it seperates the 'pulp' and the juice. (You can also make apple juice and carrot juice (for a sweetner) with an extractor.) Then you take the juice and let it sit in a cup for about five - ten minutes and under the juice there is the potato starch. And in order to keep it for longer you keep the juice on top so it "Shields" the starch.

I got my iPod! (B"h)
BaisHamikdashBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
Nissan
Diamond Member

That's who I was waiting to post... BaisHBa makes the best Potato Starch from what I hear